Our New Website!
I am so thrilled to announce the launch of our all-new website! This new site is a major upgrade, not just for the website itself, but for Symbols as a company. I’m not exaggerating. While it was nice enough in its day, our old site, which we launched around 2007 or 2008, was built on what is now very dated technology, in a very dated design. The problems with our old site ran deep. Changing a single word on the old site was a significant procedure, so much so that we rarely updated it. It wasn’t mobile-friendly, meaning some areas of the site were really hard to read on tablets and smartphones, and other areas of the site wouldn’t display at all. Here’s a screenshot of what our old site looked like on a mobile device:
Notice the small text, the missing section at the top, and the text running over the footer at the bottom?
Finally, the old site’s social media integration was terrible. There were only two social media links on the entire site (and they’re the ones you can see in the above screenshot).
Our new site, which is built on the latest release of WordPress, solves all of the problems of our old site and more. A few of the fantastic features of this new site include:
- It’s built using responsive web design technology, meaning it’s mobile-friendly. The site automatically adjusts and scales to various screen sizes, so it looks as great and works as nicely on an iPhone as it does on a PC.
- Posting new content and making edits are a snap. I can upload a new article to our blog or update our homepage from anywhere using just my smartphone.
- Great social media integration. People can easily visit our social media sites, or share individual pages to Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, from every page of our website.
- Excellent access to the site menu. Menu icons are located at the top and bottom of every page.
- We now have a blog. We can post articles, such as this very blog post you’re reading right now, with ease. We have a number of great ideas for things we’ll be sharing on our new blog, including:
- Student of the Month: profiles of stand-out students.
- Recognition for students who receive a place on our Wall of Champions, located in the lobby of our centers.
- Interviews that we’ll conduct with other professionals in the field, such as Psychologists and Speech-Language Pathologists.
Enjoy flipping through our new site, share pages on social media if you like what you see, and leave us a comment if you have any feedback you’d like to share. Happy surfing!